Tuesday 2 September, 2008

Kozhukkattai

kozhukkattai [modakam]

Making of soppu [cup] for kozhukkattai

Vella Kozhakattai

This recipe is prepared on Vinayaka Chathurthi and also on Varalakshmi Vratham days.

[who will refuse to devour the delicacy, if prepared on normal days too.....]

For Dough

2 cups rice flour
1 tbsp oil
A pinch of salt

For Filling

1 coconut (grated)
1 cup jaggery (powdered)
1 tbsp ghee

Method:

Mix grated coconut, jaggery and ghee in a heavy pan.
Cook on a medium flame, stirring continuously till thick.
Allow to cool. Form small balls and set aside.

Heat 2 cups of water in a pan.
Add salt, oil and flour, then stir continuously till dough leaves the sides of the pan. Allow to cool and knead well.

Take a small ball of dough and with greased palms pat into a disc.
Put some filling in the middle and seal it.
Make all Kozhakattais and steam till done.

Your yummy sweet kozhakkatais ready !!! ENJOY !!!

Hints: The same preparation can be made as savoury by keeping paruppu usili as poornam inside the cup of rice dough. And also Ellukozhakkati can be done with the fillings. [one cup each of seasame & jaggery and one table spoon ghee. Roast sesame seeds till pink. Grind to a fine powder along with jaggery. Add ghee and mix well.]

========================================


2 comments:

myscrawls said...

Kozhukattai looks very very inviting:)


I have posted my version of Kozhukattai in my blog My Scrawls. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive ur comments :)

EC said...

Its a lovely idea of stuffing paruppu usli in the kozhukattai..I keep trying various recipes and will try this and post it on my blog. I came to this blog from one of the forwards I received..